A new portal for MOJ where information is easy to find and content is easy to publish.
- Provide a common platform for content and publishing for internal information
- Initial tagging by department enables departmentalisation of content
- Single homepage that surfaces global MOJ news & department / ALB news whilst providing easier access to tools and pages
Focus is on Global, HQ and OPG content
Department / Agency:
Date of Assessment:
Result of Assessment:
Outcome of service assessment
After completing our assessment we have concluded that the service has shown sufficient evidence of meeting the required standard at the Alpha Review stage. Alpha branding can be added to the service.
The service was assessed against all 26 points of the Digital by Default Service Standard. We asked questions from the prompts and evidence for assessors, supplied by GDS. This document has questions and the evidence sought for Alpha, Beta and Live phases. We asked questions from the Alpha section.
The service has passed on all the points of the standard though we have some recommendations that follow.
With regards to user research we recommend that you:
- ensure some user testing with non-HQ based users who are remote working to evaluate if they should be included in personas/scenarios within the MVP scope
- test with users of IE7 that include end-to-end testing
- ensure alpha testing participants see the iterations evolving so they feel their feedback and time is providing value
- engage with GDS to gather feedback from them and get accessibility support
With regards to the team you should:
- increase your researcher’s time from two days a week to three days a week
- confirm the start date of a backend developer
- break user stories down in pivotal
- talk to other teams about effective concurrent use of physical boards and pivotal
- review DbD standard evidence for Beta assessment to reassess whether 3 weeks Alpha is sufficient time
With regards to security you should:
- confirm the Information Asset Owner
- agree penetration testing date
- seek advice form other teams regarding procurement and lead times
With regards to open source reusable code you should:
- ensure that code is opened as first priority when a new developer starts; if the repo is not public from the start there is a greater risk that configuration secrets will be added to this repository which makes opening it in the future more work
With regards to creating a service that is simple to use and intuitive enough for users to use first time unaided you should:
- define what 'success' for a non-publishing user looks like
- review/revise colour contrast and font size from accessibility point of view
With regards to assisted digital:
- continue to consider the different user needs around MoJ for access to digital environment
- continue discuss with your stakeholder and develop appropriate routes to assist less able users in a digital environment.
With regards to assisted analytics:
- install Google Analytics for Alpha
- With regards to establishing performance benchmarks and KPIs:
- agree KPIs and targets with stakeholders and gather data for them so there is a clear consensus of what success looks like
determine how to measure user satisfaction and track during Alpha if possible
- plan for redirecting any bookmarks people might have to redirect existing URLs onto equivalent pages for the new service
This service has been given approval to adopt Alpha branding but should address the recommendations during Alpha.
Thank you for your thorough and well-prepared answers to our questions. Your team deserves to feel proud of the service and the work you have undertaken to discover assisted digital needs within the MoJ that will be of great value to other internal services.
The service has passed the Alpha Review and can adopt the Alpha branding. Though some service standard points are not applicable, recommendations have been made regarding benchmarking and user satisfaction as it will benefit the service.
We are looking forward to seeing you again and are as keen to see this move into Beta when it can be iterated further with greater numbers of users.
Digital by Default Service Standard criteria